Blend of Indian flavors in any dish makes it so savory. Here is a simple and lovely dish that will take your taste buds on a treat roll. I personally love these Tangy Rice and hope you guys enjoy these flavors too. Serve with Curd Raita or Vegetable Raita.
For this Tangy Tamarind Rice Recipe, You need-
250gms rice soaked in 250 ml water for about 30 minutes
5-6 cloves of garlic
pinch of cumin seeds
30-40gms of coriander/cilantro leaves
20gms tamarind(imli) (soaked in 250 ml warm water for about 15 minutes)
handful of peanuts
Salt( as per preference)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
Pinch of turmeric
1/2-1 green chilli chopped
Desi Ghee/Vegetable Oil
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Soak 250gms of rice in 250ml water for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in another bowl, add 20gms of tamarind (you can alter the quantity of tamarind depending upon your preference for tang) in 250ml warm water for about 15 minutes. (Remember tamarind water will later be used for cooking the rice)
- In a mixer grinder, add 30-40gms of coriander leaves, chopped green chilli and 5-6 cloves of garlic along with 15ml water. Mix the ingredients in the grinder to form a smooth paste. Keep the paste aside.
- In a wok or pan, take 1 spoon of Desi Ghee or Vegetable Oil and fry handful of peanuts until they turn slightly brown. Then add mustard seeds and pinch of cumin seeds. Then add the paste made above in the 2nd step.Add salt,garam masala,red chilli and turmeric to the paste.
- Saute the paste on medium flame for about 2 minutes and then add the soaked rice along with the water they were soaked in.
- Let the rice cook in that water for a while until the water seems to be getting dried out. Now add the tamarind along with its water and let the rice cook in it.
Note:- We add tamarind water halfway through the cooking because the rice do not get cooked properly in tangy water completely .
Your tangy tamarind rice are ready to be served. Serve with boondi raita or vegetable raita and enjoy.